Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Jerry Sandusky Sentenced to 30 Years

Jerry Sandusky, the former Penn State assistant football coach accused of molesting 45 young boys in a 15 year period, was sentenced on Tuesday to at least 30, but not more than 60, years in prison.

I had to stray from Slate.com a bit this week to cover this important story, as not much attention was given to the matter on their site. I turned to CBS News and Sports, as well as the Associated Press to get more coverage of this high-profile sentencing.

Judge John Cleland said that Sandusky was being sentenced for "abusing the trust of those who trusted you" and "for the betrayal of those who looked up to you," according to Armen Keteyian, chief investigative correspondent for CBS News.

The judge said this will likely be a life sentence for the 68-year-old assistant to the late Joe Paterno. While Sandusky maintains that he is innocent, it is unlikely that his defense team's upcoming appeal will reduce his sentence.

Sandusky gave a statement at his sentencing, according to the Associated Press, in which he lamented on the hardships of going to prison and how hard it would be for him to be away from his wife and four children.

He said,"I've forgiven, I've been forgiven. I've comforted others, I've been comforted. I've been kissed by dogs, I've been bit by dogs. I've conformed, I've also been different. I've been me. I've been loved, I've been hated."

According to Slate, under state law in Pennsylvania, Sandusky cannot be released on parole before he has served the minimum sentence ordered by the judge. Because of his age, it is likely Sandusky will never be released.

Not everyone is satisfied with the sentencing, though. CBS Sports Columnist, Gregg Doyel tweeted his disgust from his personal twitter on Tuesday morning, while Sandusky was trending.
















Sandusky has continued to play the victim throughout the ordeal that began a year ago. Anderson Cooper tweeted about Sandusky's statements the night before his sentencing.













See the video below for more details on Sandusky's sentencing.



No comments:

Post a Comment